Saturday, November 23, 2013

GOTR 5k

I've been interning for the GOTR of Coastal Carolina all semester. Part of my internship is coaching GOTR and Stride and the other part is helping out in their offices. GOTR of Coastal Carolina is based in Wilmington (New Hanover County), but they are in charge of a ton of different counties around New Hanover. In the past years there has only been one 5k for all of them, but GOTR has gotten so popular and expanded so much that they now have 3 different 5ks! So amazing!! I got the pleasure of going with them to help out at the Brunswick County race. Yesterday we drove to Ocean Isle to work packet pick-up and to start setting up some things for the race.


I don't think my car has ever had so much stuff in it! We had 2 cars and a HUGE van all packed with stuff- I never realized how much goes into setting up a race! 


The race was this morning and about 370 people showed up which was a great turn out. More than they had last year! I was in charge of "sales"


This was just some of the stuff I was selling. There were t-shirts, cowbells, water bottles, coffee mugs, bracelets, hand clappers, etc... 

Butttt my absolute favorite thing we sold was...


These sweet capes! Aren't these so fun?! A bunch of kids bought them and ran in them. I said it would give them super powers and make them run even faster!



We also had a "happy hair" table where the kids could get their hair spray painted in fun colors. I being the intern offered to get my hair sprayed first to make sure it worked and to convince other people to get theirs done. Not gonna lie I'm kinda diggin this look. I might just have to make it permanent when I get my hair done next week... Just kidding! I've actually never been a fan of the "colored hair" thing even if it's just a little stripe, idk why I just don't like it. Praying this comes out when I shower!

The past 24 hours was crazy but so much fun! Helping out at this 5k got me even more excited to run the 5k with the boys and girls I coach! Only 3 more weeks!

Who else is a GOTR or Stride coach, or who wants to be?
Colored hair: yay or nay?


 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved GOTR, and I've been looking to get involved. I'm hoping to coach or at least help out on race day in Boston this spring. Kudos to you for being such a big part of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOTR is an AMAZING organization! I cannot say enough good things about it and I love people who think the same! It's so awesome that you want to get involved! If you have the time you should definitely coach and volunteers are what make the races a success!

      Delete