Saturday, November 16, 2013

Does Running Ruin Your Joints?

I just wanted to get some opinions on a topic that has come up in multiple conversations recently.

It's more like a statement that has been said to me- "I don't run because it ruins your joints" I always jokingly answer "I know I'm going to need double knee and hip replacements when I'm older"

It's not worth it to get into it with these people so I like to keep the conversation light and fun. These people are clearly lacking endorphins in their life.


So now fact vs. fiction (Just a warning, I'm biased to the fact that the benefits outweigh the risks)

Fact: Running is better for your health than sitting on the couch and eating processed food all day


Fiction: Running ruins your joints

Fact: If you already had previous knee/hip/other joint problems then yes running could make it worse, but running is not what caused it in the first place

Fiction: Running ruins your joints

Fact: Running increases cardiovascular health

Fiction: Running ruins your joints

Okay so as you can tell this isn't a very serious post. It's more like a rant. I haven't been able to run for a week due to a hurt foot and it's making me pretty grumpy if you couldn't tell. But seriously here are some articles I found on the topic and they seem legit to me...

Men's Fitness: Does Running Ruin Knees?

Runner's World: Will Running Ruin my Knees?

Both of these articles basically say that running does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis.


So today I want your opinions on this topic, even if you don't agree with me. All opinions are welcome!




No comments:

Post a Comment