Wednesday, December 11, 2013

WIAW: Vegetarian Life

I've never enjoyed eating meat, I don't know why but I just never liked the taste. I can't even tell you the number of times I tried to cook my own chicken and ended up throwing it away because I was too grossed out to eat it. Don't even get me started on red meat and pork. I haven't eaten either in such a long time and I do not miss it at alllll. The only thing that was stopping me from becoming a full-on vegetarian was the fact that I don't know anyone else who is one and I didn't want to come off as being "high-maintenance" or "stuck-up" when I went out to eat with friends. Well Thanksgiving was the last straw for me. Seeing the raw turkey and even the cooked turkey literally made me gag and lose my appetite. I told my mom about wanting to be a vegetarian and she was very supportive and even told me to find recipes that she can cook for me when I am home for winter break. So it's been almost 3 weeks of Vegetarian eats and I'm still going strong, and I have no desire to eat chicken at all.

So the first thing I did when I got back after Thanksgiving was go grocery shopping for lot's of yummy and nutritious food!

A few things I purchased were peas, edamame, spinach, carrots, spaghetti squash, cauliflower, bananas, apples, hummus, oats, and almond butter. 

So now here comes the eats, for breakfast I normally just eat some sort of protein bar like a Luna Bar or Clif bar, and a piece of fruit. 


I had extra time one morning so I made a batch of protein powder pancakes. As you can tell from the first picture I made way too many, so I had 2 days worth of breakfast from them! I put almond butter on top of them the second time and it was so delicious! 

This is my new favorite lunch! It is a spinach wrap with roasted red pepper hummus, spinach, lettuce, carrots, edamame, and some cheese. I had to take a picture before I actually wrapped it because well I'm really bad at it!



I also made sweet potato chips to go on the side one day. Some of them turned out like chips, but some of them turned out like circular sweet potato fries (hence the ketchup).  

Next I tried to conquer the cauliflower crust pizza.


It may or may not have conquered me...

  But in the end it turned out fine and I will definitely be making it again. (hopefully with no burns)

On nights that I work my new favorite meal is Grilled Cheese and Tomato Basil Soup. Or I'll just make a yummy salad, perks of working around food! I love that I can make almost anything I want out of the ingredients that we have, I'll never get bored!

So that is just some of the food I have been eating. I'm looking forward to trying much more! 

And now I have a recipe for y'all. It's actually really simple and you could probably make it on your own but I'm going to share it anyways!

Almond Butter Oatmeal Cinnamon Shake

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup Almond Milk
  • 2 Tbs. Almond Butter
  • Dash of Cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Oats
  • 1 scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
So all you have to do is throw all of the ingredients in the blender and wa-la! You have yourself a yummy and filling breakfast shake!



For all of you vegetarians/vegans out there please, please, please share recipes with me! Or if I do not follow your blog and you have lot's of yummy recipes on there please say hi :)


11 comments:

  1. Oh my, that burn! You poor thing. Hopefully you had some neosporin sitting around to put on it. On a happy note, your pb smoothie sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, OUCH! I hope it didn't sting for too long. I hate that feeling! At least your meals look delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really should share more of my meal recipes. Usually I share too many sweets, but that's life. In terms of food, I love chopping up a range of vegetables, putting them on a baking sheet (with or without parchment paper) then drizzling some EVOO or coconut oil on (TJ's has a spray!), add some seasoning, and put in oven (350-400) for about 25-30 minutes. I love sweet potato, eggplant, zucchini, and onions! So good :) I also do quinoa bowls with veggies and scrambled eggs. Those pancakes look really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yummy that sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

      Delete
  4. I am not a vegetarian, but I do limited my intake of meat because I can't stand to cook it when it is raw. Chicken is the worst, I hate that it is so slimy. And at Thanksgiving when everyone is savoring the smell of Turkey cooking, I think it smells horrible.

    Like you, I do like sweet potatoes. I have a great recipe for a sweet potato and black bean wrap I'll need to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh the smell of Turkey is so gross! I don't understand why people like it!! That wrap sounds delicious :)

      Delete
  5. I've also attempted the cauliflower crust pizza, and failed miserably. I actually almost set the house on fire, soooooooo I think I'm just not gonna try that again hahaha!
    I also realized that cauliflower crust pizza is sorta weird (I'm not hatin' cuz I know a lot of people love it). I'll just eat my carb/gluten-full pizza crust and love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I agree normal pizza definitely tastes WAY better!

      Delete
  6. Oh no your poor burns!!! I don't eat too much meat but I think my family would lose their mind if I eliminated it entirely. Plus I love seafood :) But kudos to you for doing what feels right and sticking to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Courtney!
    I was actually thinking of letting you know about my blog (The Conscientious Eater) before I saw the last sentence of this post.
    I'm a new-ish vegan and started a blog to share vegan recipes with others and document my journey to (hopefully) becoming a decent vegan cook. Check it out if you need some ideas! http://faithvandermolen.blogspot.com/

    I love running too, so I write about training and races sometimes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faith! Thanks so much for stopping by and saying hi :) I will definitely be checking out your blog and all of your yummy recipes!

      Delete