Friday, October 11, 2013

Surprise Visit and Big Decisions

Earlier in the week my dad called and said that he would be in North Carolina for work and that he might come see me while he's here. He never gave me a straight answer so I just figured he was too busy with work and didn't have time to see me, because the city that he was in was about 2 hours away from where I live. Well much to my surprise I get a TEXT from dad Thursday morning saying he would be at my apartment in a half hour. (I capitalized text because my dad never texts, ever!) I immediately jumped out of bed and scrambled to pick up the apartment. Luckily my roommate and I are pretty clean so there wasn't much to do. Before I knew it my dad was here! It was the first time I had seen him since July 4th. I love living where I do, but it's always good to be close to family. He of course took me grocery shopping which is every college kids favorite thing about their parents visiting! We went out for lunch at the yummiest Mexican restaurant called Tower 7 which is right on the beach.

I'm supposed to be graduating this May, with a BA in Psychology and a minor in Biology. Everyone has been asking me what I want to do after school and I honestly do not know. It actually really freaks me out a lot. My dad and I got to talking while he was here and he asked me if I would ever want to teach. The truth is ever since the end of my Sophomore year I've been kicking myself for not going into education because I am so passionate about working with kids. I just didn't want to waste my time and money and completely change my major half way through college so I figured I would just stick it out and everything would fall into place. Well nothing fell into place and I was starting to panic. My dad said he thinks getting my teaching license would be the smartest thing to do. Having his support is the most important thing to me so I am very excited to say that I will be getting my teaching license, and will be teaching elementary school! Unfortunately I will have to go to school for an extra year, but it will all be worth it! My mom is also very happy with this decision because she always wanted me to be a teacher. She texted me after talking to my dad and said "I told you so". I guess I should've listened to her from the start- moms always know best!

Working with the Girls on the Run and STRIDE organizations has made me even more passionate about working with kids and has made my decision to become a teacher even easier. I am positive this is what I want to do.

-Court

No comments:

Post a Comment